Starting a restaurant business is a great business idea and can result in a growing business enterprise upon proper handling and planning. There has been a rise in the restaurant business and with additional options of takeaways, and cloud kitchens alongside your mainstream restaurant, the field is getting quite expansive.
It’s often a dream of a chef and food connoisseurs to start a restaurant business and run it. It’s a dream step up but there are a few catches that as a business owner, you should be clear on before venturing into it. As much as it sounds like a good idea, there are very complex matters at hand too.
We here look to discuss both sides of the coin and see how the restaurant business is advantageous and at the same time also comes with a few demerits. Let’s check them out.
Advantages of Restaurant Business
1. Exciting field with lots of opportunity
- Food is a necessity of human beings and the good food business always continues to grow. It’s such an exciting field of work and allows for great interpersonal relationships with customers and people around. The field allows you to be creative and run a business enterprise at the same time whilst shooing you away from the lethargic 9-5 work schedule for any corporation. It has been a perfect pick for people who are starting in the food business.
2. Direct contact with the customers
- Food business is an area of business where you can have direct contact with the customers and have good relations with them. You get to have the feedback provided to you right away and at times indulge in a face-to-face discussion. The field also allows you to connect with people at large and if you haven’t noticed food business relies a lot on the word of mouth marketing. A good food place with the right ambiance and offerings can become a fulfilling business with a good customer touch.
3. Being part of the community
- We discussed how the food business is more customer-centric than most other business initiatives as you cater to the audience directly. Food businesses become a cohesive part of the community that they are in and often be part of community programs and more. A good food business running has always been the ones who are good in their product offerings and good in the community. A community has the onus of providing you with a long-term fruitful customer lineup which is why we see consumers from different generations carried down to the next as restaurant customers globally.
4. Option of being your boss
- Working in a salaried job is cited as a safer option as it gives you a monthly pay cheque to live with, but not many people are happy in their jobs. The entrepreneurial aspect does come with various challenges but being a boss of your own and able to have your enterprise or business is unbeatable. Many people prefer going their own route and starting a restaurant business is one of them. It allows you full control of your business and to set up things the way you want them.
5. Maximized earning potential
- As a business owner, there’s no ceiling to the level of earnings that you can generate. It all depends on your caliber, business setup, and management and you can easily max out your earnings, something which in a salaried job isn’t there. It also gives the option to generate higher revenues and to invoke an entrepreneurial spirit where you can further expand the business and make it into a big booming business.
Disadvantages of Restaurant Business
1. Highly competitive
- Restaurant business is highly competitive. There are lots of restaurants operating and you may find them right in your vicinity. This makes operating a restaurant business hard at times to compete and survive. For say, running a restaurant business isn’t just about cooking food and serving it. Various aspects of the business need to be taken care of to generate the required footfalls which is where it can become taxing for people.
2. Staffing and Management
- Running a business single-handedly is often hard and it is more so for the restaurant business. A restaurant business requires various staff and management teams to run it successfully from cooks to staff, waiters to bartenders, and restaurant managers to finance and accounts team. All of these aspects need to be carefully mitigated and hired to provide the right team for business growth. A lack of proper staffing and management can disrupt the business and doom it.
3. Additional responsibilities
- Although being a business owner lets you forego the life of being a salaried person, various aspects of business can become hectic. Being a business owner comes with lots of additional responsibilities which at times are hard to handle and manage. The need to plan the business from the cooking to the management, marketing to finances, gets overwhelming for people. This can often impact the health and other aspects of life too as you may have to go through higher workload and stress levels.
4. No minimum salary to fall back to
- This is one of the important aspects of being a restaurant owner or any business owner as there is no caveat of minimum salary to fall back to. Being a business owner does give you the option to maximize your earnings and have higher profits, but at times of downfall or slow business, you can have a hard time paying yourself besides managing the staff wages and more. There are many instances when restaurant owners don’t even have a salary to fall back to.
5. Financial hit
- Restaurant business needs time to break even and that can range from six months to 1 year or more. Since there is a lot of capital investment to be done for the business, the need to arrange it and then run it is harsh. Add to it the running expenses and there will be time when the break even on your losses will take time. All this while you need to pump in the capital and sustain the business. This causes a lot of restaurants to get a financial hit in the first year of operation and they close down.
Running a restaurant business is a great pick for starting a business venture but at the same time, various caveats need to be handled to make it successful. Combing these all, as a business owner you need to plan the business very carefully and operate it in the best order possible.