Zoomcar Business Model: How Does Zoomcar Make Money?

Zoomcar India’s initial self-drive rental service offers the unique driving experience without the commitment of car ownership. With a fleet of over 10,000 cars, it holds a substantial 60% market share, reflecting its widespread popularity. The platform boasts more than 91,00,000 satisfied users, highlighting the appeal of this innovative approach to car usage in India.


Zoomcar Company Details

Origin Country India
Established year 2013
CEO Greg Moran
Headquarters Bengaluru, India
Founder Greg Moran
Revenue Rs 69 crore ($8.3 million) in FY23
Products Car rental services
Number Of employees 500+

Key Products and Services of Zoomcar:

To access Zoomcar, become a member, be at least 18 years old, and hold a valid Indian license. Non-Indian residents need an international license. Additionally, no history of alcohol or drug-related driving violations in the past seven years is allowed. This ensures a straightforward process for booking a car through Zoomcar.

Target Audience Of Zoomcar:

Zoomcar primarily focuses on middle-class individuals aged 18-35 who travel frequently. They specifically target teenagers and businessmen. The company has leveraged the influence of young YouTubers for promotion, capitalizing on the tendency of teenagers to follow these influencers. This approach has played a role in attracting many young users to Zoomcar.

Zoomcar’s Business Model:

Zoomcar’s business model is straightforward. They buy 75% of their cars with bank loans and lease the remaining 25% from companies like Avis Budget Group. This helps them have a variety of cars while managing finances effectively.


Zoomcar partners with companies like Ford, Mahindra, and Tata Motors to have more cars available and make money. They were the first to offer electric cars for rent in India through partnerships with Mahindra and Ford. Tata Motors added 50 new Tata Nanos to their fleet. Zoomcar also works with hotels, universities, and real estate developers for parking and pick-up points. They teamed up with Nissan for a vehicle subscription program with Nissan Magnite and Nissan Kicks. In 2013, they launched the RideSmartBLR campaign with Uber and the Ashoka Foundation to raise awareness about drunk driving.

Additional Benefits:

Apart from renting cars, Zoomcar offers additional advantages:

  • Cars can be driven anywhere in India as they have all-India permits.
  • Cars are strategically placed for easy pick-up.
  • You can choose to have the car delivered to your doorstep.
  • Zoomcar prices cover fuel, taxes, and insurance.
  • Customer support is available around the clock to assist with any questions or concerns.

What Is Unique About Zoomcar’s Business Model:

Zoomcar is super popular now, but other companies like Drivezy, SelfDrive, U-Drive, Letmedrive, Carzonrent, and LeasePlan are doing the same thing. Why aren’t they as famous? Zoomcar likely stood out because of smart marketing, good partnerships, an easy-to-use app, and being quick to offer electric cars with Mahindra and Ford. These factors helped Zoomcar become a big deal in the market.

Performance Marketing And CRM:

Zoomcar’s marketing mainly involves paying for results like sales or clicks, known as performance marketing. They use a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) team to encourage customers to come back and use their service again.

Out of the box Marketing:

Zoomcar went beyond traditional methods and used the internet effectively to spread the word about their company. They achieved this by placing their logo and name on the cars they offered. This simple strategy ensures that users and others who come across these cars become aware of Zoomcar’s presence, contributing to organic growth.

Revenue Model:

Zoomcar’s way of making money is simple: they rent out cars. In the financial year 2017-18, they earned $19 million, but the company faced a loss because expenses were higher than revenue. To address this, they introduced ZAP Subscribe to improve their financial situation.


Zoomcar’s plan for long-term success. Their immediate goal is to expand into new regions across the country. To ensure sustained growth, they aim to convince customers that subscribing to a car with them is better than buying one outright. This could involve offering unique advantages and incentives to make the subscription model more appealing and convenient for users.

Sumit Kumar Yadav has experience analyzing business and finance of big to small companies. Loan, Insurance, Investment data analysis are his key areas.